Natural Sciences Museum, Brussels
The wing, named after its architect Emile Janlet, was built between 1898 and 1905 as an extension to the monastery wing in which the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences has been housed since 1891. During the 20th century, various renovations have substantially disrupted the logic of the original museum.
The restoration concept developed by Sum intended to reestablish the architectural logic of the building, while organising its interior in accordance with contemporary museological and scientific concepts. The visitors circuit in the Janlet wing was significantly modified and optimized. The world famous iguanodons from Bernissart have been given a new home in the main hall and the terraced hall on the second floor has again been put to use, this time as an exhibition space. The visitors circuit has been extended by the construction of new stairs and elevators. Last but not least, the fire safety of the building has been greatly improved and accessibility for the disabled has been assured.
Not only the museum facilities in the public spaces but also the research centre in the Janlet wing has been reorganised. The archives and laboratories in the basement were optimized and adapted to the needs of the research centre. An effort was also made to reorganize the crossing of public and research flows in the wing.
Client: Public Buildings Administration
In collaboration with: Bureau d’'Études Greisch sa (structure) & Ingenium sa (HVAC)